Happy, happy, happy new year!
If you are reading this, then it is friends and fans like you who made my 2013 so very awesome. From the bottom of my heart, thank you ever so much. I only hope that your year was as good as mine and that you have an amazing year ahead of you. My goal for this year is to inspire you. If I don’t, at least I tried 🙂
Throughout the holidays, I was reading posts on Facebook and Instagram about artists working diligently to finish off ‘works in progress’ before the end of the year 2013. I didn’t have any ‘works in progress’ to stress about finishing because of the attitude I adopted in 2013. I had decided last year I wasn’t going to stress about projects, what to create or getting it finished. I did what I did when I could and it worked for me. I was able to spend a lot more time with the kids and had lots of ‘date days’ with hubby. I had time to experiment more with new designs and patterns and challenged myself to create what I didn’t think I could.
Another reason I did not have any ‘works in progress’ to scramble into finishing is because I have never been able to leave one project before starting another. Yes, if I was able to leave one project to begin another I may have created more if we are taking inventory of what I actually created in 2013. But I wasn’t counting. I did what I could when I could. That’s it. Simple and just as rewarding.
So instead of posting what I worked hard to finish before year end, I can only post the last project I began and finished in 2013 🙂
This is a simple Twelve Patch Quilt created using 2.25″ squares with 2.25″ sashing. I’ll be honest though. I made two of this quilt. Identical except in size. The first quilt top used four patches across and five down. It wasn’t huge but was pretty big. I made three attempts to quilt it myself on the Juki sewing machine and reached high levels of epic fails each time. Either the backing started bunching up and twisting or to compensate I overstretched/pulled the top out of proportion. I moved my kitchen table out to clear a spot to lay the quilt three times. I thought I didn’t ‘sandwich’ the quilt properly. I used basting spray and pins. Yet, I still couldn’t get a good stitch line.
This was the first time I had used the Juki to completely finish a quilt and I made the quilt top with the intention of quilting it myself. After my third attempt at quilting the large version, I calmly packed it up and now have it ready for my favourite quilter Karine of Karine’s Quilting Touch. No stress. Begin again.
I had over cut pieces for the initial quilt so I made another quilt top using the same size squares but using only three rows across and four down.
I didn’t use pins.
I spray basted the crap out of it.
My stitching is not perfect. The Juki is fast. A lot faster than I could get used to but it was fun and of course, rewarding when completed. I used left over binding from a banner/bunting set I had created earlier in the year so time wise, really, it didn’t take too long at all.
I’m totally happy with how the smaller version turned out but vowed to only quilt smaller quilts on the Juki and send the larger ones to Karine. Or maybe one day I will try again. Will let you know.
Thanks so much for stoppin’ by!